Have you ever touched someone only to be shocked by a small surge of electricity? Do you know why this happens? The situation has a scientific explanation and is related to static electricity. Continue reading below to see how and why this occurs.
Static electricity is the accumulation of positive and negative electrical charge on the surface of an object. The human body is a great electricity conductor – sometimes, a bit of electrical charge can accumulate on the skin and is generated through skin friction with certain materials (cotton, wool, skin, polyester, aluminum, synthetic material). These materials can generate static electricity in the body and is the reason for the shock we experience when we touch someone.m
The process occurs when free electrons are trying to find a way to get to another atom. When you touch a person, they can pass to atoms that have the space and will return to their neutral state. The electrical discharges usually go unnoticed as they are smaller than 1 mA, but sometimes, they are stronger and can be certainly felt. If you’re often the one who passes electricity to others, try to walk barefoot in order to “ground” yourself. Hugging a tree or enjoying hot springs can help as well, as minerals from the water such as iron, sulfur or manganese can regulate the electric balance in your body.